- 2 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 pints fresh raspberries
- 9 ounces mini chocolate chips or chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Line two 9-by-4-inch loaf pans with plastic wrap, leaving a 4-inch overhang all around. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the cream until firm; chill.
- In a stainless bowl set over a pan of simmering water, whisk the eggs, yolks and 3/4 cup of the sugar until the mixture reaches 155° on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the bowl from the heat. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs at medium speed until fluffy and pale, about 5 minutes. Beat in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, the vanilla and the salt. Add 2 pints of the raspberries and, at low speed, mix briefly, just until the raspberries are slightly broken up. Fold in the whipped cream, followed by the chocolate chips. Spoon the parfait into the loaf pans. Tap the pans lightly on a surface and cover the parfaits with the overhanging plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, at least 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the remaining 2 pints of raspberries with the remaining 1/4 cup each of sugar and lemon juice. Refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Unwrap the parfaits and invert them onto platters. Peel off the plastic wrap. Using a hot knife, slice the parfaits and serve with the raspberry compote.
The wrapped parfaits can be frozen in the loaf pans for 1 week.