Fromage Blanc Custards with Radish Salad
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Two 1/8-inch-thick slices of fresh ginger, smashed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2/3 cup fromage blanc or plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 small black radish, cut into thin matchsticks (1/2 cup)
- 1 small watermelon radish, cut into thin matchsticks (1/2 cup)
- 6 French or red radishes, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 chive flower, separated into blossoms, for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk, garlic and ginger to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain the milk into another small saucepan. Lightly sprinkle the gelatin over the warm milk and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Rewarm the milk over low heat, gently whisking a few times, until the gelatin dissolves, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gently whisk in the fromage blanc and crème fraîche until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper. Pour into six 4-ounce ramekins. Cover and refrigerate until chilled and set, about 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the radishes with the chives. Drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and white pepper and toss well. Top each custard with the radish salad, garnish with chive blossoms and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.