- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 3/4 cups ice water
- 12 zucchini blossoms, stamens removed
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into twelve 1/2-inch-wide, 1 1/2-inch sticks
- 6 anchovy fillets, halved
- Pure olive oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, combine the flour with a large pinch of salt and the sage. Gradually whisk in the ice water until just blended.
Carefully open each zucchini blossom, place a piece of mozzarella and an anchovy half inside and twist tightly to close.
In a large saucepan, heat 1/2 inch of olive oil to 350°. Dip each stuffed blossom in the batter and allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Fry 3 blossoms at a time, turning once, until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Serve right away.
The batter can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours. Stir the batter well before using.