- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound very fresh medium zucchini, sliced lenghtwise 1/8 inch thick
- Put 1 cup water in a shallow bowl and gradually sift in the flour, stirring with a fork until the batter is smooth; it should have the consistency of sour creamadd more flour or water if necessary.
- Pour 1 1/2 inches of oil into a large skillet and place over high heat. When the oil is very hot but not smoking, drop 5 slices of zucchini into the batter. Slip a fork under the zucchini, 1 slice at a time, and slide it into the pan; the oil must always be hot enough to sizzle on contact.
- Cook until a fine golden crust forms on one side, then turn and cook on the other side. With tongs, transfer the fried zucchini to a wire rack set over a baking sheet to drain. Repeat the procedure until you have fried all the zucchini. Sprinkle with salt and serve piping hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.