Fried Tofu with Spicy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 main-course or 4 first-course servings
Tofu is an unlikely partner for red wine, but in this recipe by Young Hwa Chungwife of Dana Estates owner Hi Sang Leea soy-ginger glaze works well with the winery's Cabernet Sauvignon.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- One 14-ounce container firm tofu
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Steamed rice, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the sugar, red pepper, garlic, sesame oil, ginger and sesame seeds.
- Slice the tofu crosswise into 8 thin slabs. Dry the tofu with paper towels, pressing until no moisture remains.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Spoon the sauce over the fried tofu and sprinkle with the scallion. Serve with steamed rice.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.