- 6 large scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 cups lebneh (see Note)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a bowl, toss the scallions with the flour. Transfer to a colander and tap out any excess flour.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the scallions and fry over high heat, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain the scallions in a colander set over a heatproof bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons of the scallion oil. Wipe out the skillet.
- Return the reserved scallion oil to the skillet. Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, garlic and jalapeño and cook over high heat, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the lebneh. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fried scallions.
Lebneh is available at specialty and health food stores.
Instead of Lebneh Crème fraîche, fromage blanc, drained Greek nonfat yogurt, mascarpone or quark.
Pita chips, potato chips or crudités.