- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, plus more for frying
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 1/2 cups cold cooked jasmine rice (see Note)
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a small skillet, heat 1/4 inch of peanut oil until shimmering. Add 1/4 cup of the sliced shallots and fry over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried shallots to paper towels to drain.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the turmeric and the remaining 1/2 cup of shallots and stir-fry over moderately high heat until the shallots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and 1 teaspoon of salt and stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute. Add the peas and stir-fry until the rice and peas are hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the fried shallots and season with salt. Transfer the rice to a bowl and serve with lime wedges.
If you don't have leftover rice on hand, you'll need to cook 1 1/2 cups of rice.