Fried Rice with Asparagus
- SERVINGS: 4
Rinsing and soaking the rice ensures perfectly cooked grains. If you have leftover cooked long-grain white rice, you can use it here; you'll need four cups.
- 1 1/2 cups extra-long-grain rice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- 6 canned water chestnuts—rinsed, drained and cut into 1/4 -inch dice
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, rinse the rice with water, rubbing the grains between your palms. Drain and rinse the rice 2 more times. Drain and return the rice to the saucepan. Add 1 1/2 cups of water and let stand for 1 hour.
- Bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Stir, then cook until most of the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir again. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, fluff the rice with a fork and let stand, covered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Fluff the rice to separate the grains, transfer to a plate and let cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with the egg white and mix in 1 teaspoon of the peanut oil. Heat a wok over moderately high heat for 20 seconds. Add the eggs and scramble until cooked through. Transfer to a work surface and coarsely chop them.
- In a bowl, combine half of the chicken stock with the oyster sauce, soy sauce, wine, sugar, sesame oil and pepper. Set the wok over high heat for 30 seconds. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons peanut oil and swirl to coat the wok. Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the water chestnuts and the remaining chicken stock and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir to separate the grains. Add the eggs and toss to combine. Stir in the oyster sauce mixture and stir-fry for 2 more minutes. Stir in the scallions and cilantro and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.