© Beatriz Da Costa
Fried Potatoes with Cilantro
- SERVINGS: 6 TO 8
- 8 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 small dried red chiles, broken up
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro
- In a large colander, toss the potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the salt and let stand for 5 minutes. Pat the potatoes dry with paper towels.
- Heat 3/4 cup of the olive oil in each of 2 large skillets. Add half of the potatoes to each skillet, spreading them in an even layer. Fry the potatoes over moderately high heat until beginning to brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Stir and continue cooking until the potatoes are crisp and tender, about 5 minutes; adjust the heat as necessary. With a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mash the garlic with the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt. Wipe out the skillets and add 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil to each. Add half of the garlic to each skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant and golden, about 3 minutes. Add half of the chile pieces to each pan and cook for 1 minute. Add half of the cilantro and fried potatoes to each skillet and stir to coat the potatoes. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large platter and serve at once.