- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil or rendered chicken fat (schmaltz), for deep-frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 5 half-sour or dill pickles, quartered lengthwise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread cumbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the garlic and cayenne and season with salt and black pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350°. In a food processor, pulse the panko until finely ground. Transfer the panko, beaten eggs and flour to 3 shallow bowls. Dust the pickle spears in the flour and tap off the excess, then dip them in the beaten egg, letting any excess drip off. Dredge the pickles in the panko to coat thoroughly.
- Fry the pickles in 2 batches until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot, with the spicy mayonnaise.