- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 large or 8 medium dill pickles, sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning (a commercial seasoning mix made with cayenne, paprika and dried thyme)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350° over moderately high heat. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the pickle slices in the egg whites to coat. In another bowl, stir the cornstarch with the Creole Seasoning and cayenne. Add the pickles and coat thoroughly with the cornstarch mixture; shake off the excess cornstarch.
- Working in batches, fry the pickle slices until light golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.