- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes (3/4 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups brine from Cauliflower-Heart Pickles or other jarred pickles
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1/4 cup harissa
- Canola oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, cover the sliced potatoes with the pickle brine and refrigerate overnight.
- In a food processor, combine the garlic, lemon juice and salt and pulse until a coarse puree forms. Let stand for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve set over a small bowl. Stir in the tahini, cumin and 3 tablespoons of water until smooth, then stir in the harissa and 1/2 tablespoon of the pickle brine. Season with salt.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. In a nonstick skillet, heat a thin layer of oil. Working in batches, fry the potatoes in a single layer over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until they’re lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain and serve with the harissa tahini.
The pickles can be refrigerated in their brine for up to 1 week.