Fried Okra with Sweet Chile Sauce
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
Howie Velie loves the tender, delicious young okra from Best of What's Around farm. At Magnolia, he dips it into a cornmeal batter, then fries it until it's puffy, golden and crusty. Make sure to serve the okra right away since it can get soggy if it sits.
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound large okra, halved lengthwise
- Sweet Chile Sauce
- Fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of oil and heat to 350°. In a bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper. Add the milk and eggs and whisk until smooth. Add the okra and turn to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Add 10 or 12 pieces of okra at a time to the hot oil and fry over moderately high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve right away, with the Sweet Chile Sauce.