- 6 ounces cooked medium shrimp, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- 4 green tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp with the celery, mayonnaise, chives, capers, parsley, mustard, lemon juice and horseradish. Season the remoulade with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- In a shallow bowl, coat the tomato slices with the buttermilk. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour and cornmeal and season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Dip the tomato slices in the flour mixture, then transfer to a wax paperlined baking sheet.
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the tomatoes in batches and fry over high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and cayenne. Top with the shrimp remoulade and serve.
Contributed By Amy Tornquist