© Ericka McConnell
Fried Green Tomatoes with Anchovy and Lemon
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs (from six 1-ounce slices of bread, crusts removed)
- 4 large green tomatoes (3/4 pound each), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large anchovy fillets, halved lengthwise
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour with the salt and cayenne. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Spread the bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge 4 of the tomato slices in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip them in the egg, then coat with the bread crumbs, shaking off the excess. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add half of the breaded green tomato slices and fry them over moderately high heat until crisp and golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain the tomato slices on paper towels and transfer them to a large platter. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices. Top each fried tomato slice with an anchovy strip and a lemon wedge and serve immediately.
A sparkling wine from California that tastes of green apples will brighten the flavors of the hors d'oeuvres.