Fried Green Tomatoes
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
When firm, tart green tomatoes are coated in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese then pan-fried, they become amazingly crispy on the outside, and warm and juicy on the inside. If green tomatoes are difficult to find, fresh tomatillos make an excellent substitute.
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound green tomatoes or large tomatillos, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Old Bay Seasoning, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a medium bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper. Put the eggs in another medium bowl and toss the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan in a third bowl. Dredge the tomato slices in the flour, then coat them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl. Coat in the bread crumbs, pressing to help them adhere.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the breaded tomatoes in a single layer and cook them over moderately high heat, turning once, until deeply golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the tomato slices to paper towellined plates. Sprinkle with salt and Old Bay and serve immediately with hot sauce.