- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound unripe green tomatoes or large tomatillos, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Canola oil
- 8 thick-cut slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread, toasted
- Low-fat mayonnaise and baby arugula, for assembling
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Arrange the bacon on the foil and bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy. Drain the bacon and cut in half.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, egg mixture and cornmeal in 3 shallow bowls. Season the cornmeal generously with salt and pepper. Dip the tomato slices in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the cornmeal, pressing to help it adhere. Transfer the slices to a wax paperlined platter.
- In a very large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of canola oil until shimmering. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and crisp, 5 minutes. Drain the tomatoes on paper towels.
- Lay 4 slices of toast on a work surface and lightly spread with mayonnaise. Top with the green tomatoes, bacon and arugula. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve.
Sauvignon Blanc's tangy flavors are great with green tomatoes.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.