© Tina Rupp
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup club soda
- One 10-ounce log of fresh goat cheese
- Honey, chopped roasted pistachios and freshly ground pepper, for serving
- 3 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs), lightly crushed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cut the goat cheese log into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Refrigerate the balls on a wax paper–lined baking sheet until firm, about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg and club soda. Gradually whisk in the flour and cornstarch and season with salt. Spread the panko in a shallow bowl. Dip the goat cheese balls in the egg batter, then dredge in the panko. Coat the balls again in egg batter and panko. Return them to the baking sheet and freeze just until firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of canola oil to 375°. Working in batches, fry the cheese balls over high heat, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the balls to a paper towel–lined plate and season with salt. Transfer the cheese balls to a platter, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pistachios and pepper. Serve hot.