- All-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups club soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- Four 6-ounce skinless haddock or hake fillets
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 4 large Boston lettuce leaves
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a medium bowl, whisk 2 cups of the flour with 1 teaspoon of salt. Whisk in the club soda until the batter is smooth. Set the bowl in the ice bath; let stand until chilled, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cumin with the oregano and paprika. Season the fish with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the spice mixture. In a large bowl, gently toss the tomatoes with the onion, jalapeño and cilantro and season with salt.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°. Place a rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Working with two at a time, dredge the fish fillets in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip the fillets in the batter and fry, turning once, until golden and cooked through, 4 minutes; transfer to the rack. Repeat with the remaining fish.
- Arrange the rolls on a work surface cut sides up. Top the bottom halves with the lettuce, fried fish and tomato mixture. Close the sandwiches and serve right away.
These sandwiches are great with a crisp Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.