© Line Klein
Fried Eggs with Mustard Seed Oil and Kale
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 2 to 4
Mustard seeds bring out a delicious flavor in eggs, which get topped with a variety of unexpected and tasty ingredients, including sunflower seeds, baby kale, cumin, yogurt and avocado.
Slideshow: More Incredible Egg Recipes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pound baby kale, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, for serving
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cut into wedges
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the mustard seeds and toast over low heat, stirring, until they just start to pop, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a small spoon, transfer the seeds to a small bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook over moderate heat until the whites are set and the yolks are slightly runny, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to plates; keep warm.
- Add the kale to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until wilted, 3 minutes. Add the sunflower, cumin and mustard seeds and cook, stirring, until the sunflower seeds are toasted, 2 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the yogurt with salt. Top each egg with some kale, salted yogurt and avocado and serve.