- One 1 1/2-pound eggplant
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
How to make this recipe
Using a vegetable peeler, peel half of the eggplant. Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch dice.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Add half of the eggplant and fry over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a paper towel–lined baking sheet to drain; season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
In a bowl, whisk the vinegar with the olive oil and garlic. Add the eggplant, scallions and bell peppers and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and toss again. Sprinkle the feta on top and serve.
Pair this warm salad with a zesty, herb-scented Greek white.