Fried-Egg BLTs with Arugula Aioli
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Jimmy Bannos Jr. improves on the classic BLT by layering his version with curly frisée, lemony arugula aioli, thick-cut bacon and juicy heirloom tomatoes. He tops it all with a runny fried egg.
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed baby arugula (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup lightly packed parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly packed basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 thick-cut slices of rustic Italian bread
- 12 slices of thick-cut bacon (12 ounces)
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 ounces frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 large eggs
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat until lightly golden, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
- In a food processor, combine the pine nuts, arugula, parsley, basil and garlic and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the mayonnaise, grated cheese, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Season the aioli with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large griddle. Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and griddle over moderate heat, turning once, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the toasts to a plate. Add the bacon to the griddle and cook over moderate heat until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side; drain on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, gently toss the tomato slices and torn frisée with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry sunny-side up or over-easy. Transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 6 slices of toast on a work surface and spread with the aioli. Top with the tomatoes and frisée, then the bacon and eggs. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve right away.
Juicy, full-bodied Italian rosé: 2011 Cantalupo il Mimo
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.