- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour or rice flour
- 1 teaspoon hot pimentón de la Vera (smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas—drained, rinsed and dried well
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of oil to 375°. In a small bowl, mix the chickpea flour with the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat; shake off any excess flour.
- Fry the chickpeas, in batches if necessary, until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the fried chickpeas with the parsley, chives and basil. Serve at once, with lemon wedges.