Fried Chicken Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Fried chicken has become such a popular fast food that few Americans cook it at home anymore. In this new salad, strips of chicken breast are sautéed in olive oil and served over greens that have been tossed in a sherry vinegar sauce.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch strips
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 pound mesclun
- In a skillet, heat the oil. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the flour with the salt, black pepper and cayenne. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour, shaking off any excess. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate; season lightly with salt.
- Add the shallot to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened but not browned. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Let the dressing cool slightly. In a large bowl, toss the mesclun with the dressing and season with salt and black pepper. Arrange the greens on 4 plates, top with the chicken and serve.
The sharp flavor accents here call for a round, fruity white for balance. Pick a California Chardonnay, such as Bernardus or Estancia Pinnacles.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.