Fried Chicken Kebabs (Ganderi Kebab)
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 32 kebabs
Hemant Oberoi makes kebabs with ground chicken, herbs, spices and cheese (cheddar stands in here for the Amul cheese he uses). He fries the round kebabs until crisp and golden brown and serves them on sugarcane skewers to add a little sweetness, although any kind of skewer will work.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar (4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, preferably black (see Note)
- Mango chutney, for serving
- In a large bowl, knead the chicken with the cheddar, onion, cilantro, mint, ginger, garlic, jalapeño, cumin seeds, paprika, garam masala, salt and cardamom. Using lightly moistened hands, roll the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Put the beaten eggs and bread crumbs in 2 separate pie plates. Roll the balls in the egg and then dredge in the bread crumbs, pressing to adhere.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Working in batches, fry the chicken balls over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel–lined baking sheet. Pierce each kebab with a short skewer and transfer to a platter. Serve with mango chutney.
These substantial chicken kebabs need a wine with fresh, bright acidity, like New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.