Fried Brown Rice with Scallions and Eggs
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This fast dish is great for using up leftover rice; made with eggs, it’s a delicious vegetarian meal.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 scallions, white and green parts separated, both parts thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups cooked short-grain brown rice (see Note)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a nonstick wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrots and white parts of the scallions and stir-fry over high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and all but 1 tablespoon of the scallion greens and stir-fry until the rice is heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to create a well. Pour the eggs into the well and cook, stirring gently, until nearly set. Toss the fried rice with the eggs and cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the soy sauce. Transfer the fried rice to bowls, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of scallion greens and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.