© Phoebe Lapine
Fried Brown Rice with Scallions and Eggs
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This fast dish is great for using up leftover rice; made with eggs, it’s a delicious vegetarian meal.
Slideshow: Fast Asian Dishes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 6 scallions, white and green parts separated, both parts thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups cooked short-grain brown rice (see Note)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a nonstick wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrots and white parts of the scallions and stir-fry over high heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and all but 1 tablespoon of the scallion greens and stir-fry until the rice is heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to create a well. Pour the eggs into the well and cook, stirring gently, until nearly set. Toss the fried rice with the eggs and cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the soy sauce. Transfer the fried rice to bowls, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of scallion greens and serve.
NotesTo cook the rice, in a medium saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups raw rice with 3 cups of water and a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Use the rice right away or refrigerate.