Fried Bass Fingers
- SERVINGS: 8
These homemade fish sticks often show up at Chef Mark Gottwalds' summer buffetseven finicky children can't refuse them.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups fine cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless striped bass fillets, cut into 3-by- 1/2 -inch strips
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Crack the eggs into another shallow bowl and beat well. Put the cracker crumbs in a third bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the fish strips in the flour. Dip the strips in the beaten eggs, then coat completely with the seasoned crumbs. Arrange the fish fingers on a large baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 375°. Fry the fish fingers 4 or 5 at a time until golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried fish to paper towels to drain. Serve at once with lemon wedges.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.