Fried Baby Artichokes
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
This recipe is based on a preparation that originated in Rome's Jewish ghetto. It is one of Palma D'Orazio's most requested dishes at her New York City restaurant, Palma. Frying brings out the artichokes' sweetness.
- 20 baby artichokes (about 4 ounces each)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- With a small, sharp knife, cut off the artichoke stems. Snap off the leaves until you reach the inner leaves. Cut off the top third of the artichokes and trim any tough parts. Quarter the artichokes lengthwise.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of olive oil to 300°. Fry the artichokes in the hot oil in batches until richly browned and crisp, about 2 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the artichokes to small plates or a shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with the cheese and parsley and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.