- 1 pound dried whole wheat ziti
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mixed shredded cheese
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente, then drain.
Mash the garlic into a paste with a pinch of salt and place in a large bowl. Chop the to-matoes and add to the bowl. Stir in the oil, zest, juice, sugar (if using), 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Reserve the sauce.
Toss the ziti with the tomato sauce in the bowl, then transfer to an oiled 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the cheeses evenly over top and bake until the cheeses are melted, about 15 minutes. Serve.