Fresh Tomato and Caper Salad
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
When guests sit down to the dinner table, Moroccan hosts often set out small salads to eat with bread or on their own. Paula Wolfert found this salad in Essaouira, along the Atlantic coast. She says it's rare to see capers in Moroccan salads, even though the country is one of the world's leading suppliers.
- 2 pounds red tomatoes—peeled, halved, seeded and finely diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 small celery ribs, finely diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper—peeled, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved lemon peel (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or argan oil (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl, toss the tomatoes with the celery, onion, green bell pepper, preserved lemon peel and capers. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and toss again. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.