Fresh Toasted Fazzoletti
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS
- SERVINGS: 1 1/2 pounds of pasta
Toasting flour before making pasta dough makes it incredibly rich-tasting and flavorful.
- 3 cups durum wheat flour (see Note), plus more for dusting
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread 1 cup of the flour on a baking sheet and toast for about 30 minutes, stirring once, until fragrant and honey-colored. Let the flour cool.
- In a food processor, combine the toasted flour with the remaining 2 cups of flour and pulse. With the machine on, add the eggs, milk and salt and blend until the dough comes together; turn out onto a floured work surface and knead 2 or 3 times to form a soft, supple dough. Wrap the dough in plastic and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Using a pasta machine on the thickest setting, run 1 piece of dough through the machine, dusting with flour. Fold the dough in thirds and run it through the machine at the same setting. Continue to run the dough on successively thinner settings until you are 1 setting from the thinnest. Dust the dough with flour and drape over a floured work surface while you repeat with the remaining dough. Cut the pasta into 2-inch squares and dust lightly with flour. Let the squares stand at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
The uncooked fazzoletti can be spread out on a baking sheet and frozen, then stored in a resealable plastic bag.Notes
Durum, a high-protein flour is available from kingarthurflour.com.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.