Fresh Shell Bean Stew
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Anaheim chile pepper or other mild green chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 pounds fresh cranberry beans, shelled (about 3 cups)
- 2 bay leaves, 3 thyme sprigs, 1 rosemary sprig, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries and 4 cloves, tied in cheesecloth
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound small romano beans or larger beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and chile and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add the fresh cranberry beans, the spice-herb bundle and the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard the spice bundle and season the stew with salt.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt and the romano beans and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and keep warm. Just before serving, stir the romano beans into the fresh cranberry bean stew. Season with salt and serve hot.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.