- 3 cups fresh cranberry beans (from 3 pounds in the shell)
- 1 quart water
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 thyme sprigs, plus 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 pound tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, combine the beans, water, garlic, thyme sprigs and baking soda and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the beans are tender, 30 minutes.
- Drain the beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid in the saucepan. Discard the garlic and thyme sprigs. Add the beans and tomatoes. Simmer the stew over moderate heat until the tomatoes are hot, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter. Add the thyme leaves and season with salt, then serve.
One Serving 408 cal, 5 gm fat, 2.8 gm sat fat, 69 gm carb, 25 gm fiber.