- 12 fresh whole sardines (about 2 1/2 pounds), heads and bones removed, fish kept intact
- 1 1/2 cups coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Sicilian green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons minced rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the broiler. Spread the sardines open on a large baking sheet, skin side down. In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, green and black olives, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Top each sardine with 2 heaping tablespoons of the bread crumbs, pressing them to adhere.
Divide the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil between 2 large nonstick ovenproof skillets. Arrange 6 sardines in each skillet, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Set the skillets under the broiler, 1 at a time if necessary, and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are golden and crisp. Serve the sardines immediately with lemon wedges.
One Serving Calories 380 kcal, Total Fat 25.4 gm, Saturated Fat 4.6 gm.
The assertive flavors of sardines and olives need a clean, pleasantly sharp white wine for contrast. Look for a Sauvignon Blancbased French wine.