- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 fresh hot red chile—stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for drizzling
- Grilled rustic bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk with the heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook over moderately low heat until a candy thermometer inserted in the mixture registers 175°, about 12 minutes. Gradually stir in the vinegar, then remove from the heat and let stand until the milk solids float to the surface, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently transfer the milk solids to a cheesecloth-lined sieve set over a bowl. Let drain for 1 hour. Discard the liquid.
- Transfer the fresh ricotta to a bowl and refrigerate until slightly chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Fold the minced chile and 1 tablespoon of honey into the ricotta and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle honey on the ricotta and serve with grilled bread.
The ricotta can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.