- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
- 2 cups freshly shelled peas (from 2 pounds in the shell)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sugar snap peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the sugar snap peas to a large plate and let cool until warm. Add the shelled peas to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain.
Heat the oil in the saucepan. Add the fennel, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add all of the peas and stir until warmed through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives and serve.