Fresh Mango Sorbet
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Inspired by the ripe mangoes at a farmers' market along the drive to Mount Kenya Safari Club, Hubert Des Marais came up with this smooth and creamy frozen dessert. Its intensely tropical kick comes from a coconut-milk base infused with ginger and cardamom.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 large, ripe mangoes—peeled, pitted and chopped (2 cups)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, unsweetened coconut milk, sugar, crushed cardamom pods, cloves and minced ginger and bring to a simmer over moderate heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 25 minutes. Strain the mixture into a bowl and stir in the apricot jam.
- Puree the chopped mango in a blender. Add the spiced coconut-milk mixture and blend thoroughly. Transfer the coconut-mango mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Scrape the spiced coconut–mango mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Keep the mango sorbet in the freezer until ready to serve.