Fresh Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 1 1/2 cups
The inspiration for this sauce by chef Abraham Conlon is cafreal, an Indian braise with Portuguese roots. It’s a sprightly, all-purpose sauce that’s vividly flavored with cilantro, chiles, garlic and lime juice. (Seed and de-rib some or all of the chiles for a milder version.) Conlon recommends stirring the sauce into a green chile stew, using it as a marinade for chicken, or sprinkling it on pork or fish tacos.
- 6 ounces jalapeño chiles (6 medium), stemmed and thinly sliced
- 4 cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and puree until smooth.