- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 small red potatoes, peeled and halved (6 ounces)
- 2 medium carrots, cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, basil, cilantro and tarragon to the soup. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spoon a dollop of crème fraîche into 6 bowls. Ladle the soup on top; serve.
The soup can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat before proceeding.