- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 small red potatoes, peeled and halved (6 ounces)
- 2 medium carrots, cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Crème fraîche, for serving
How to make this recipe
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the parsley, basil, cilantro and tarragon to the soup. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spoon a dollop of crème fraîche into 6 bowls. Ladle the soup on top; serve.
The soup can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight. Reheat before proceeding.