- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 large firm ripe pear, preferably Bosc, peeled and cut into 3/4 -inch dice
- 1 large tart green apple, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 6 ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly spray a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Lightly spray the paper with cooking spray and sprinkle the sides of the pan with sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced pear and apple with the cranberries. Add 1 tablespoon of the sugar and the cinnamon and toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the sugar and the buttermilk. Beat in the eggs and egg whites until combined, then beat in the cake flour and baking powder. Stir in the fruit. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake the cake for about 1 hour, or until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Invert the cake onto a plate and peel off the paper. Invert the cake again onto a large plate or platter and let cool completely. (The fruit cake can be kept, covered, at room temperature for 1 day.)
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.