- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- Large pinch of ground fennel
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, cored and cut into small pieces, feathery tops chopped
- 1 large red potato, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and the ground fennel and cook over moderate heat until the onion softens, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the pieces of fennel bulb, potato and stock and bring to a boil; simmer until the fennel is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Strain the soup into a clean saucepan, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in bowls, sprinkled with the chopped fennel tops.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.