Fresh Cranberry Beans with Tomatoes, Onions and Cinnamon
- SERVINGS: Makes 5 cups
If you think cinnamon seems odd with beans, you've underestimated what Turkish cooks can do with spices.
- 2 pounds fresh cranberry beans, shelled (4 cups of shelled beans)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoespeeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Cook the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender, 30 to 40 minutes; drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook over low heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat until the juices have evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, lemon juice, sugar, crushed red pepper and cinnamon and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and water to the skillet and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the liquid has reduced to a glaze, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with the parsley.
Make Ahead The beans can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving. Notes 1/2-Cup Serving Calories 187 kcal, Total Fat 8.0 gm, Saturated Fat 1.0 gm, Protein 8 gm, Carbohydrates 24 gm.