- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 cups pure olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- Small pinch of saffron threads
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo lump crab, picked over
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, toast the coriander, fennel and cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer the seeds to a plate and let cool. Finely grind the spices and return them to the saucepan. Add the olive oil, onion, shallot, bell pepper, garlic, carrot and sherry vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer over moderately low heat. Cook until the bell pepper is crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Add the thyme and saffron and season with salt. Let cool.
Put the crab and parsley in a large bowl and pour the <em>escabèche</em> mixture on top. Gently toss, being careful not to break up the crab. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with crusty bread.
Serve this bright escabèche with a tangy, medium-bodied California Sauvignon Blanc.