- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 ears of corn, kernels cut off
- 1 bay leaf
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1/4 cup shredded basil
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, bay leaf and saffron and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf. Transfer the soup to a blender and puree. Strain the soup through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the crabmeat and basil and serve.