© Frances Janisch
Fresh Corn Muffins
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 12 muffins
The Good News Buttermilk is a great low-fat way to get potassium.
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear)
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium skillet. Add the corn and jalapeños, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape onto a plate to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add the buttermilk, egg and the remaining oil and stir until blended. Quickly stir in the corn mixture and pour the batter into the muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for about 16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Notes One Muffin 172 cal, 8 gm fat, 0.9 gm saturated fat, 22 gm carb, 1 gm fiber.