© Tina Rupp
Fresh Clam and Noodle Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Plus: More Soup Recipes and Tips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Large pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1/4 pound thin spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 pounds cockles or Manila clams, scrubbed
- Three 1-inch strips of orange zest
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the clam juice, stock, wine, tomato paste and saffron and bring to a boil. Add the pasta, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until barely tender, 6 minutes.
- Add the cockles and orange zest and cook uncovered until the cockles open, about 3 minutes; discard the orange zest. Season the soup with pepper, ladle it into bowls and drizzle with olive oil.
Serve WithGarlic toasts.