© Tara Fisher
Fresh Carrot Risotto
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This clever “risotto” is made with carrot juice and chicken broth and dotted with peas, for a fun take on peas and carrots.
Slideshow: Amazing Carrot Recipes
- 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 2 cups fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock and carrot juice to a simmer; keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until slightly milky colored, about 1 minute. Add the wine and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar and cook, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the hot stock mixture, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly and adding more stock once it has been absorbed, about 20 minutes total; the rice should be al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce. Add the cheese and 1 tablespoon of the butter, season with salt and pepper and stir until creamy.
- In a medium skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the peas, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until warmed through, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar to the peas, then fold into the risotto. Serve immediately.