- 1 pound napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated or minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 heaping tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, combine the napa cabbage and bok choy. In a large saucepan, combine the salt and 1/4 cup of the sugar with 2 quarts of water and warm over moderate heat just until the salt dissolves. Pour the brine over the cabbages and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Rinse and drain the cabbages. Transfer to a large bowl and add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, fish sauce, sesame oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar; toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes. Garnish the kimchi with sesame seeds before serving.