Fresh Cabbage Kimchi
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 cups
Garlicky, spicy and delicious, this quick kimchi combines crunchy bok choy and tender napa cabbage for an interesting mix of textures.
- 1 pound napa cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound baby bok choy, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated or minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 heaping tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru) or 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the napa cabbage and bok choy. In a large saucepan, combine the salt and 1/4 cup of the sugar with 2 quarts of water and warm over moderate heat just until the salt dissolves. Pour the brine over the cabbages and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the cabbages. Transfer to a large bowl and add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, fish sauce, sesame oil and the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar; toss well. Let stand for 30 minutes. Garnish the kimchi with sesame seeds before serving.