© Kamran Siddiqi
Fresh Almond Fettuccine with Tomato-Basil Sauce
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This satisfying fresh pasta uses both a gluten-free all-purpose flour and almond flour.
Slideshow: Gluten-Free Recipes
- 2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup superfine blanched almond flour, such as Honeyville
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- One 24-ounce jar strained tomatoes (about 3 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces, plus more for topping
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
- MAKE THE PASTA In a food processor, mix the 2 cups of all-purpose flour with the almond flour and salt. With the machine on, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and process until the dough starts to come together. Add the olive oil and mix until the dough just forms a ball. Turn out the dough onto a flour-dusted work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and wrap each piece with plastic wrap; let rest for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour 1 piece of the dough, keeping the rest covered in plastic. Roll out the piece until it’s about a 1/2 inch thick. Using a pasta machine on the thickest setting, run the dough through the machine, dusting it with flour. Fold the dough in thirds and run it through the machine at the same setting. Continue to run the dough on the next 3 thinner settings.
- Using a pasta cutter attachment, cut the pasta dough lengthwise into fettuccine. Transfer the fettuccine to a flour-dusted, parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze until ready to use. Roll out the remaining pasta dough.
- MAKE THE SAUCE In a large saucepan, combine the strained tomatoes, butter and 1/4 cup basil and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes and season with salt.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until it rises to the surface, about 3 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the pasta to the tomato sauce and toss. Transfer the pasta to shallow bowls and top with basil. Serve, passing the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese at the table.